Saturday, May 14, 2016

Psychic Goose


Saw this on the news and had to share. I believe in psychic power, that is as extra-sensory perception. I also believe animals are psychic. More psychic than most of us are. I would hazard to guess that as our brains evolved into much more complex organs, we humans eventually learned to rely more on reason and logic than our innate sensitivities.

Be that as it may, here we have a goose whose little gosling had become entangled in string. The mother goose, sensing the need for greater help than she could offer alone, sought out a police car and started pecking at its door. According to People Magazine, Cincinnati police Sergent James Givens reported it this way:

I was sitting in a patrol car in a parking lot, I heard something pecking on the side of the door and I looked down and I thought the goose was hungry. I was eating a bagel and I tossed it a piece but it didn't have any. It walked in front of me so I followed it.

The troubled goose led the officer to her troubled baby. With no one available to help from SPCA Wildlife, Givens called a fellow officer who untangled the gosling as Mom calmly looked on.

A pretty interesting little tale, I believe. Givens attributed all this to "motherly instinct." I think of it as using psychic abilities that animals naturally possess. And speaking of mothers, I should mention that the offending string that entwined the gosling had come from a Mother's Day balloon. Weird coincidence, no?

One further thought. I believe we are all interconnected. As Marcus Aurelius once put it: "Everything is interwoven, and the web is holy." That is my basic worldview and it colors my way of looking at life accordingly.





4 comments:

  1. Interesting. I've recently stopped eating meat and as it was mainly for health in the beginning, I see the world and all the creatures that live in it differently now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Animals are way underrated in my opinion. I was a vegetarian, as an experiment, for about a year. I suppose convenience is the main reason I eat meat now. You would be surprised where all meat and animal parts turn up in prepared foods. Which leads to one of my pet peeves: why are these vegetarian prepared foods so very expensive? Lack of demand, probably? Anyway, for an interesting read, check out Rupert Sheldrake's "Animals Who Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been on the veggie wagon for a little over a year (except for fish- only gave that up about 6 months ago). It is very inconvenient indeed especially since I work at a steak restaurant :) . The prepared meals are outrageous, so I've learned to cook in a whole new way. I am seeing more and more vegan stuff being stocked by my local markets, so the demand may be going up.


      We visit my inlaws every other Sunday, and they tell us that their dog knows what time we should be coming and on what Sunday. It's pretty cool.

      Delete
    2. Cool about your in-law's dog. When I was a child I had two Chihuahuas who, I swear, could accurately read my moods. When I was down they would begin to play with me.

      Once as a boy I was cornered by the neighborhood bully dog, a very ill-tempered German Shepherd. I was able to talk my way out of that, old Max finally letting me pass with nary a bite. I do think animals are more psychic than we are, and for that matter, that humans used to rely more on their instincts and senses before we became so sophisticated (sigh).

      Delete